Think you may have holes or cavity in your teeth? Is the food getting stuck in teeth? Do you experience pain while brushing your teeth or sensitivity while consuming hot or cold food? Then you may require dental fillings.
Dental fillings is a treatment which restores the teeth and relieves the pain associated with cavities.
Dental Filling is a restorative dentistry treatment which is used to repair minimal tooth fractures, tooth decay or damaged surfaces of teeth. Fillings help in restoring damaged teeth and decay back to their normal function and help to prevent further decay or becoming the big issue.
Types of Dental Fillings
There are various types of dental fillings and your smile gives the whole idea to a dentist to discuss which is suitable for you.
As the name suggest, Amalgam fillings is a filling made up of the mixture of metals. The metal which these fillings contain includes about 50% mercury, along with tin, silver, copper and zinc and these metals creates a strong and stable filling material. Compared with filling material it is highly durable, easy to use, resistant to wear and inexpensive. This type of filling is recommended for restoring the teeth back in the mouth.
Benefits of Amalgam Fillings
- Strong and easy to withstand forces of chewing
- Inexpensive than the alternatives
- Can be completed in one dental visit
- Less sensitive to moisture during filling process than composite resin
The composite fillings are the type of fillings made up of the acrylic resin and powdered glass-like particles. This type of filling provide the natural appearance for your restoration and offer durability and resistance in small and mid-size restoration.
Advantages of Composite Fillings
- Matches the color of teeth
- Filling procedure is completed in one visit
- Bond directly to tooth and makes it stronger
- Less drilling required
- Can be used easily in combination with other materials such as glass ionomer